Monday, May 30, 2005

Since I've already covered the French referendum a fair amount (most recently yesterday morning), I don't really feel the need to get into France's 'non' vote again now that it's actually happened.

Far more interesting to ponder, I think, is what would happen if the U.S. constitution had to be ratified again today. Would the constitution survive? If not, which states would reject it?

I know it's something of a futile excercise to consider hypotheticals like that, but like I said, I find it really interesting to think about.

My own guess is that the voting patterns would be similar to those in France. Richer areas would vote in favor of the constitution both on principle and for the increased wealth that more streamlined markets would generate; poorer areas would vote no both on principle and in fear that it would lead to increased financial insecurity.

That said, the one wildcard would be religion. What would a state like Colorado do? Compared to its neighboring states, it's quite wealthy. But it's also at the epicenter of the evangelical movement. Theoretically, it might vote against a federal constitution on the grounds that it would then have more control to determine issues like abortion, gay marriage, euthenasia, etc.

But what do you think -- would our constitution survive today?

Would all fifty states really ratify it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Elayne said...

Oh my dear, I think half the states would vote for secession at this point!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home